Things to Do in Exeter
Whether you’re a history buff, a nature enthusiast, or a foodie, there are so many things to do in Exeter – there’s something for everyone! Located in the heart of Devon, this historic city blends ancient architecture with modern amenities, providing a rich experience for all ages and interests.
From exploring mediaeval tunnels to enjoying a scenic cruise on the River Exe, this guide offers a varied list of things to do in Exeter. Read on to make the most of your visit.
- Visit Exeter Cathedral
- Walk the Quayside
- Explore the Royal Albert Memorial Museum
- Hike the Exe Estuary Trail
- Join a River Exe Cruise
- Check Out Underground Passages
- Visit Exeter Castle
- Try Local Food
- Attend a Local Event or Festival
- Shopping at Gandy Street
- Exeter Phoenix Arts Center
- Bill Douglas Cinema Museum
- Visit the Custom House Visitor Centre
- Exeter City Football Club
- Go Climbing at Clip ’n Climb
- Explore the Northernhay Gardens
- Try Paddleboarding
- Take a Cooking Class
- Topsham Museum
- Explore Haldon Forest
- Take a Ghost Tour
- Play a Round of Golf
- Go Horseback Riding
- Visit the Exeter Guildhall
- Try an Escape Room
- Visit the Exeter Synagogue
Visit Exeter Cathedral
- Heart of the city, Cathedral Yard.
- Entry fee: £7.50 for adults.
- Gothic architecture, astronomical clock, guided tours available.
Walk the Quayside
- Located along the River Exe.
- Pubs, cafes, antique shops, opportunities for kayaking and paddleboarding.
Explore the Royal Albert Memorial Museum
- Queen Street, in the city centre.
- Free admission, donations welcome.
- Houses art, archaeology, textiles, and natural history, temporary exhibitions.
Hike the Exe Estuary Trail
- Starts in Exeter, ends in Exmouth.
- Walkers, cyclists, birdwatchers, multiple routes for varied difficulties.
Join a River Exe Cruise
- Departs from the Quayside.
- Prices start at £10.
- Options include wildlife cruises, sunset cruises, narrated history tours.
Check Out Underground Passages
- Paris Street, under the city centre.
- Tickets around £8.
- Guided tours, mediaeval history, children’s activities.
Visit Exeter Castle
- Castle Street, also known as Rougemont Castle.
- Entry fee: £5.
- Gardens, views of the city, occasional special events.
Try Local Food
- Restaurants, pubs, and cafes city-wide.
- Prices vary, typically £5-£20 per meal.
- Cream teas, seafood, Devon pasties, international options.
Attend a Local Event or Festival
- Various locations throughout the city.
- Prices and dates vary.
- Music festivals, food fairs, historical reenactments, seasonal celebrations.
Shopping at Gandy Street
- Located in the city centre.
- Free to browse, prices vary for purchases.
- Independent shops, boutiques, local crafts, specialty food stores.
Exeter Phoenix Arts Center
- Bradninch Place, central location.
- Ticket prices vary, typically £10-£30.
- Theatre, film, exhibitions, workshops, and cafe-bar on site.
Bill Douglas Cinema Museum
- University of Exeter campus.
- Free admission.
- Cinema artefacts, posters, books, interactive exhibitions.
Visit the Custom House Visitor Centre
- Quayside location.
- Free entry.
- Maritime history, interactive exhibits, souvenirs, tourist information.
Exeter City Football Club
- St James Park stadium, near the city centre.
- Ticket prices are around £20.
- English Football League matches, concerts, and special events.
Go Climbing at Clip ’n Climb
- Haven Road, indoor facility.
- Prices start at £12.50.
- Varied climbing challenges, safety gear provided, instructors available.
Explore the Northernhay Gardens
- Near Exeter Castle and Rougemont Park.
- Statues, memorials, seasonal flowers, open-air events in summer.
- Quayside location.
- Starts at £20 per hour.
- Beginner-friendly, equipment rental, guided sessions available.
Take a Cooking Class
- Various cooking schools around Exeter.
- Prices are often around £50 for a class.
- Devonshire classics, international cuisine, specialty courses like baking.
- Located in the port town of Topsham, a short train ride from Exeter.
- Free, donations appreciated.
- Maritime history, ship models, period rooms, temporary exhibits.
Explore Haldon Forest
- Located near Exeter.
- Free entry, additional activity costs.
- Hiking, mountain biking, Go Ape zip-lining, Segway tours.
Take a Ghost Tour
- Depart from Cathedral Yard or Guildhall.
- Prices around £15.
- Haunted sites, local legends, historical context provided.
Play a Round of Golf
- Courses like Exeter Golf and Country Club.
- Green fees start at £20.
- Variety in difficulty levels, club rentals available, lessons for beginners.
Go Horseback Riding
- Devon countryside locations.
- Prices start at £30 per ride.
- Different trails, riding schools offer lessons, suitable for all levels.
Visit the Exeter Guildhall
- Located on High Street.
- Free to visit, small fee for guided tours.
- Oldest municipal building in England, historical artefacts, open to the public.
Try an Escape Room
- Various providers in Exeter.
- Prices start at £20 per person.
- Varied themes, group activities, suitable for families or team-building.
Visit the Exeter Synagogue
- Synagogue Place, near the city centre.
- Free, check for visitor hours.
- Oldest Ashkenazi synagogue in the English-speaking world, guided tours possible.
Exeter is a city that offers a rich tapestry of experiences. From its historical landmarks to its modern attractions, there’s no shortage of activities to fill your itinerary.
Whether you have just a day or a whole week, our guide aims to help you navigate through the city’s many offerings. Enjoy your time in Exeter, a city where history and modernity coalesce.